19 November 2007

November 19, 2007

Hey All! Yah, I've been busy and too lazy to update my blog at ohhhh 11pm when I finally get the time and remember that I need to do an update.

Sooo, lately my house has become a steady stream of contractor's employees and subcontractors and their employees! All grungy men in jeans, hoodies, plaid work coats, work boots of all kinds, etc. However, there have been 2 women who are working here- both with the Electrician. One is John's wife, Jeanne, and the other is his sister-in-law.........darn it, forgot her name! SORRY! I get it on here soon! These ladies have been putting in some serious hours here with John over the last week and continuing to do so this week too. You can see the pics of the electrical going in on Steve's blog: http://www.225remodel.blogspot.com/

Adding to the list of subs parading in and out of my living room is the HVAC group, headed by a stout, burly guy named Paul! These guys got all new heating vents and cold air return vents in our upstairs existing bedrooms and bathroom today. They got the new 2nd furnace in our master bedroom waiting to go up into the new attic area above Oliver's room now. This crew will be back tomorrow and then some- it will take them a week or so to get all of their work done here.

Rounding out our subs this week is also the Plumber, Mike! He had his partial sewer inspection today by the Village and we got the famous yellow APPROVED sticker! Now the plumber can back fill all of the digging he did in our front, side, and back yards tomorrow before getting started on bringing the sewer and water lines inside for the addition.

Mark Builders had a crew of 3 to 4 guys here today as well. Mark Sr. and Mark Jr. were here per usual and with them were Steve (turns out he is Mark Sr's brother, not some stranger lurking around job sites!) and Ken (don't know if he is related somehow, but wouldn't surprise me as Mark Sr. seems to recruit a lot of family and friends and they get the job done!) This crew of guys got my new bay window in over my kitchen sink today! WOO HOO! Also, they tore off the siding on the west side of the house today. We got word that now that we have all the windows in that came in the first shipment, the remaining few windows are due to arrive on Wednesday. Those will likely not go in until next Monday due to the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, which is just fine with me!

Apparently, we have had a few on the job MINOR injuries already....all involving Mark Sr. Now, don't get all upset and freaked out because I really do mean minor injuries though the laughter involved is often MAJOR! hehe! Today's ditty was Mark Sr. taking a hammer to the upper right corner of the forehead........by none other than Mark Jr. I didn't see it happen, but I did see the bump on the forehead afterwards! Guess it will balance out the 2x4 to Mark's left eyebrow area from about a week ago and the fall Mark took on the new concrete floor not too long after the framers got started. I suppose, as long as all the injuries are MINOR and only seem to happen to the Gen. Contractor........it's no big deal! :)~

In the last week, we spent time finding and ordering tile for our Master bath and Steve picked it up this past Saturday night. WOW! I am very excited to see the floor and walls in there get done, though that is a while off yet. The tile for the shower walls and the base around the whirlpool tub are a taupe and cream marble and both will have accents of the slate tile that we just got in for the floors. I think all of this will coordinate well with the shower base and countertops of Terrazzo (marble and concrete) that we already ordered too.

I stopped at Menards last Saturday afternoon to pick some details for the bathroom vanity. I had already decided on a style of cabinet. See link below:

http://www.omegacab.com/gallery.asp?f=3&pg=7

You can look at the link above, but we will have a 72 in vanity, Prairie style with Manneheim style door corners, which is not shown anywhere online....so the link is only a general idea of the style we are after. Since I had to choose the remaining details for the vanity, I looked iin store at what was offered for wood and stain colors and chose what I liked best.....Quarter Sawn Oak with a darker Chestnut stain. I think it will be really nice. We will also have the same wood and stain for the wood top on the half wall between the sink vanity and the toilet for continuity. Did I mention that we are getting undermounted, square/rectangular shaped sinks (double sink vanity) and the coordinating toilet? Yah, we are and I love them! Most of our masterbath stuff is all ShowHouse by Moen stuff; the "Divine" line.....Yah, I know: Hate the name but I know a good looking, quality faucet when I see one regardless of what someone at Moen decided to name the line! (read Steve's ex-wife's maiden name is "Devine" WHATEVER!) But, I do not recall the name of the sink and toilet style that I chose nor what the brand name is. Check back for that info and I'll get it on here as soon as I get it. Meanwhile, here is a link to the ShowHouse by Moen, "Divine" line:

http://www.moen.com/bathroom/divine

Paint colors and how to set up my newly remodeled kitchen are looming concerns for me these days. I want neutrals deep taupes with accent colors that pop...like deep reds, deep greens, creams, chocolate browns. We will likely have all the trim painted white in the house as well since that looks clean and sharp against the hardwood floors. If anyone has any suggestions on paint brands, color schemes, etc please post or email me. I am a mostly rustic/country/homey type person when it comes to my kitchen and more rustic/antique styles for the rest of the house.

Oliver is really tolerating all of this construction really, really well. He doesn't mind all of the people coming and going and all of the new faces everyday. I cannot say the same for all of the rest of our household, but then again, Oliver is the hard one to work around so that is all that really counts! Ian, Evan, and Ilse are all being real champs about the clutter and the upheaval too! I guess being a kid during construction and remodeling is the way to be stress free! It also helps to have an awesome Gen. Contractor and crew! Mark Sr. and Mark Jr. have really done anything and everything to keep the house as clean and quiet as possible. They even worry about upsetting Oliver and his schedule, etc. Mark checks in first thing in the AM and last thing in the afternoon so we can plan daily for what will happen on the next day and for the next week. This keeps us from being unpleasantly surprised and also keeps the work moving along at a good pace. You know me, if it doesn't work for my family and I, then good luck getting it done! Mark knows this and keeps me personally updated as well as speaking to Steve daily about the progress.

Ok, time to go for now. Oliver has had a really long nap on the couch and needs time with Mommy now. Tomorrow, his day filled with 3 hours of therapy at Easter Seals. We were supposed to have an RN orientee join us tomorrow as well, but the agency just called and said that the RN orientee is ill and cannot be here tomorrow. TYPICAL! It will just be Debi, Oliver's regular Tues/Wed/Fri nurse and I with Oliver tomorrow and that is just fine with me.

Ian, Evan, and Ilse are visiting with their father today and tomorrow. They are enjoying their week off of school, looking forward to Thanksgiving, and Ian is anxious for his 14th birthday Saturday, 11/24/07. Lots of family time...that's the best!


Gute Nacht!

No comments: