01 February 2010

{New Books, etc}

I stopped at my local used bookstore on my way home from the dentist today.  It was good to spend a few minutes looking around.  I picked up a couple of books for myself and a Valentine's Day themed flap book for Ollie.  He will love it.  It's sturdy so hopefully it will last until February 14th {grins}.

I was excited that the book I originally asked the shopkeeper to hold for me from their online inventory was still available.  "My Religion" by Helen Keller, published 1928.  The other books I obtained today are much more current and came from the broad "self-help" section.  I won't bore you with the titles, {bigger grins}.

In the mail today, we received the packet of educational materials that I requested from the Pulmonary Hypertension Association recently.  I requested duplicates of everything so that I am able to share this important information with those around us.  I have also found bits and pieces of information in this packet that are making me pause to think hard about Oliver and his overall health situation.  It is extra hard in our situation as we cannot always get straight answers from him on how he feels, what is bothering him, etc.  He has so many medical issues- systems that can cause him pain or discomfort at any given time, that at his age and with his communication deficits, it can be often hard to know for sure what he feels completely.  We do a lot of judging his pain and discomfort by tempermant, behavior, vital signs, as well as his sign language feedback.  All in all, we have to pay very close attention not only to him, but to the day he is having, his stress levels, his stimulation levels, his energy levels, his complete surroundings, etc.  His immunity is always at issue, so we are most often at home if we do not have a doctor's appointment of some kind to attend.  Speaking of appointments, Ollie has 3 this week alone.
{ I was reminded this past weekend just how many medical miles we log in a year and how many appointments/surgeries Ollie had at various locations, as I tallied up the trips for tax purposes. }



I have started something fun on Facebook, thanks to some inspiration from a friend, Theresa Rees.  Theresa gifted me with a sweet little pink book entitled:
"The Woman's Book of Simple Delights"
...More than 200 Everyday Indulgences

So, I thought it would be fun to post one entry each day to Facebook to share them with everyone.  How fun is that?  I started today, so go check it out!

We are enjoying Sign Language Classes again this session.  Ian and Evan along with their friend Brian are in a class for Teens now and I enjoy class with a varied group of adults at the Maintain & Expand level.  Our teacher is AWESOME and we are learning a lot of new information this year!  Next session, Ilse will be old enough to leave the Siblings class, but we aren't sure where she will be placed as her knowledge of Sign Language surpasses Level 1.  We will have to wait and see.  Though Steve does not attend Sign Language classes, he is growing in confidence and vocabulary and has even had several experiences with communication in Sign Language with deaf individuals he has encountered either at work or out in the community.  He has also given a few "performances" in Sign Language for Training Classes at work.  I am SUPER PROUD of him!

Wish us well as we go for another of Oliver's Pulmonary Hypertension Team appointments in Chicago this week.  These appointments are hard...they take up a LARGE portion of our day and they are emotionally exhausting as well.  We are, of course, hoping for some good news as we have so far had nothing but stagnation, even on the additional medication {and an increase of that medication too!}.


Oh, and Ian, Evan, and Ilse would appreciate your support in rooting for the Groundhog to NOT see his own shadow tomorrow, Groundhog's Day, so we can have an early Spring.  Every morning, they complain about having to wear a coat and whine about when will the COLD be gone!


Have a Great Evening!


-Reneé

1 comment:

Michele O said...

Yes, I am ready for Spring also. I would love to be able to attend the sign language classes with you guys. I am making plans to save money to be able to visit in early June.