19 November 2009

{Homemade}

These last several weeks, eight or more, I have really been focusing on all things {Homemade}. I have enjoyed reviewing recipe after recipe, tweaking as I see fit, for products/items such as:

{Household Cleaners}
All Purpose Spray Cleaner
Dish Soaps
Dishwasher Detergent
Furniture Polish
Liquid Hand Soap

{Toilette Items}
Shampoos
Conditioners
Hair Detangler Sprays
Baby Diaper Wipes

{Laundry Aids}
Laundry Soap
Fabric Softener/Fabric Softener Sheets
Linen Water


...and many, many more fun, money saving, NATURAL products!

My older sister, Michele, has been very interested in making these types of products listed above as well and began doing her own research online. Together, we swap web URL's, recipe tips, suggestions, ask questions, and most of all SHARE ENTHUSIASM!

While my sister does have Asthma, other than that, she and her family are all of good health and do not have the health concern component that our family does when it comes to choosing to be a chemical free household. However, for quite some time both Michele and I were dedicated Melaleuca -The Wellness Company- shoppers, every month! It never occurred to either of us that we could make our own products AND make them more cost effectively, until now.

Now, we are thrilled with our findings, our experiments, our saved money, the lack of NASTY CHEMICALS that we are exposing our families' to. While I live in a large Metropolitan area, Michele lives in a small rural community, so her access to Natural/Health Food Stores for individual ingredients is limited....Thank Goodness for the Internet! Michele and I have found many sites helpful, thought provoking as well as interesting....here are a few:


www.eartheasy.com {great info & recipes}

www.fruitfulyield.com {great inventory in-store and online}

www.tipnut.com {search homemade household cleaners}

www.budget101.com {HUGE list of food and homemade cleaner recipes, budget & frugality tips}


We have found more websites helpful and as I get the time, I will post those for everyone to check them out!


Today, I made my first batch of "Moist Towelettes" to replace carrying "Wet Ones" and for a daily facial wipe....Guess how much my one baggie of {36 Moist Towelettes} cost me to make? $0.50 total! I also made my first 25oz bottle of Linen Water...I wanted to replace what I had originally bought at Marshalls for $6.99 ages ago and I found the perfect recipe to do it. Guess how much my homemade {Lavender & Tea Tree Linen Water} cost me to make? Again, $0.50 ...for 25oz AND it smells SO VERY GOOD!

So, take a gander at the sites above...read through the recipes that catch your eye! Can you make your own Laundry Detergent {at a penny a load!} or could you stop using & storing harsh, dangerous chemicals in your home {and save money} by making your own household cleaners?


{It is truly amazing what just a few natural ingredients can do!}


-Renee'

1 comment:

Michele O said...

I love this post. My sister mentioned me! Love u sis!