
Yes, you did read right. I did type 2 of our 4 kids admitted to having school projects to work on over the Christmas Break. Now, you know Oliver is only in Pre-K so HE would not have a project nor school work to do over a school vacation, so that would only leave us with...
EVAN! Yes, Evan acted like he had no work to do for 2 whole weeks! Even when it was said repeatedly, "WOW, isn't it great to not have any work to have to do for school like your brother and sister?", Evan continued his lie of omission! GRRR! Turns out there is a large, weighted heavily for not only one class (SCIENCE) but 2 classes (MATH TOO) project for all 8th graders, called the "Invention Convention" that Evan is required to submit an invention for, as well as a research paper component, and a presentation; all by January 23rd! Now, this he could very well have been working on for the 2 week vacation he had, especially since he requests *read requires* adult help= the help of our resident engineer, Steve! Oh yes, Steve was also home those same 2 weeks Evan was home, and one would think that this fact would weigh on the conscience of even a 13 year old boy, but NO! Video Games, Computer Games, Texting, Movies, Friends, Girls, Scrubs Episodes, Sleepovers, etc all took up more space in his developing brain and alas, left no room for guilt, remorse, much less memory or care of any such school assignment!
Steve was HIGHLY PRODUCTIVE over the 2 weeks he was off of work! I am very happy that we now have an awesome Fitness/Therapy/School Room that is completely functioning and everyone in the family can use it! Steve made Oliver's large, flat, rectangular Therapy Swing and it is so much nicer and stronger than the ones you purchase in catalogs or on the Internet! We also were able to find a floor model Treadmill that would suit Oliver's needs as well as work for the rest of our family. We have all tried it out and love it! Also, it needs to be said that in order to make Oliver's Therapy Swings work, we had to install steel tracks on the ceiling of the Fitness/Therapy room. This has also allowed Steve to bring in his Heavyweight Punching Bag from 2 Christmas' ago....this is a HUGE hit with all the males in the house, family and friend alike! Another thing Steve spent some time on while off of work was getting the audio/visual components functioning for that area of the house also. We saved a lot of money by choosing to go with a flat screen computer monitor instead of a flat panel television. The wiring issues were a bit more complicated, but Steve being an Engineer, it was a project he could tackle no problem. I believe that all that is really left in that room is now to have the right speakers found and installed for surround sound (important for Oliver's hearing impairment), the minimal remainder of the flooring done, the window films cut and put on the glass, and some decor stuff that I want for final touches.
As we ready to take Christmas symbols down for yet another year, we are making plans for what we want to accomplish in 2009! Steve and I have talked about what he wants to do more/less of in 2009. I haven't thought too much about what I personally want out of this coming year. I guess that deep down I expect more of the same. If I sit here and think about it, I want 2009 to bring more HEALTH for my whole family. So to that end, I am extremely grateful for the room we have been able to complete, for the medical experts and services in our lives to keep us going in the right direction, and as a family we now need to resolve, each one of us:
- To do more exercise on a daily basis: We have no excuse!
- To eat healthier: We only have this one body!
- To have healthier relationships: We only have each other!
Here's hoping 2009 is a much healthier year, for everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment